Attendees:L. Hamer, C. Williams, M. Anglin, L. Stephens, K. Sandiford, S. Fairclough-Leslie, C. Rice, T. Muniz, D. Seabourne, A. Knight
The attendance sheet was signed and submitted to Ms. Muniz.
Dr. Hamer called the meeting to order at 6:45 PM
Welcome & Introductions
Ms. Anglin made the motion to accept the agenda with any necessary corrections.
K. Sandiford seconded the motion.
Review of minutes.
K. Sandiford made the motion to accept the minutes with necessary corrections.
M. Anglin seconded the motion
Business Operations Report – Ms. Muniz
STUDENT DATA- 2018-2019 UNIVERSAL PRE-K STUDENTS 36 K-5 STUDENTS 285 SPED STUDENTS 40 ELL STUDENTS 1% ECONOMIC DISADVATAGE STUDENTS 69%
- 2019-2020 Enrollment Applications
- 597 Applications
- Open house 3/26/19
- Application deadline 4/1/19
- Lottery 4/16/19
- 2019-2020 Enrollment Applications
- DOE Invoice (includes facilities) submitted
- Financial Summary- 3/21/19-submitted
- Cash disbursement report-Submitted
- Computer lab ribbon ceremony proposed dates in April
Principal Report – D. Knight
- Teachers are assessing scholars in their reading comprehension and mathematics.
- Running records of scholars reading levels were collected the second week in February.
- The New York State ELA Test will be held April 2nd and 3rd and the Mathematics Test May 1st and 2nd.
- School Guidance Counselors and IEP Coordinator are collaborating with teachers, administration and parents, to improve student behavior. We are seeking and exploring internal safety; anti-bullying presenters.
- The Afterschool Program continues with English Language Arts on Wednesdays and Mathematics on Thursdays. The Saturday Academy continues each Saturday from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm for our Grades 3-5 scholars.
- The Saturday Academy is held strictly prepare our scholars for the upcoming New York State English Language Arts, Mathematics and Science (grade 4 scholars only) tests.
- Due to inclement weather school closing Monday, March 4th , the vision screening scheduled for grades kindergarten and 1 will be rescheduled for the month of May.
- On Thursday, March 14th, Parent Teacher conferences were held. Our scholars were dismissed at 12:00 noon. Many of the parents came out to meet the teachers.
- On Tuesday, March 19, 2019, the scholars took their Spring pictures. In addition, Kindergarten and grade 5 took their graduation pictures and pictures were also taken of our sports teams; basketball, soccer and cheerleaders.
- On Thursday, March 21st, the Kindergarten Team will be preparing to celebrate the 120th Day of School. Kindergarten parents will be joining their children to decorate tee shirts for the following day.
- On Friday, March 22nd, REACS will be celebrating the 120th Day of School. Scholars may present their projects as well as wear their tee shirts. All scholars will be dismissed at 12:00 noon in preparation of Professional Development for the Staff.
- REACS Open House, Tuesday, March 26th – Main Building: 3:00 – 4:00 pm.
- Grades K-5 will hold their Awards Ceremony on Friday, March 29th.
- Safety meeting was rescheduled to Friday, March 29th.
- On March 8, 2019, 1st installment (400 cans) where delivered to Mount Moriah Church/Food Pantry. The date of the 2nd installment to be determined.
- The PTO held their monthly meeting on Wednesday, March 20 th at 6:30 pm.
- We are looking for parent volunteers to assist with scholars arrival and dismissal.
- Administration has reached out to Mrs. Rose Watson, (Leader of volunteers), to solicit volunteer with strong student behavior management skills to assist in the cafeteria.
- Parents should not park in front of the school.
- On Monday, March 11th , Ms. Jaime White, ELA Consultant observed the grades 3-5 teachers and Ms. Ola Soetan, ELA Consultant, observed the grade K-2 teachers during their literacy, guided reading and fundation teaching sessions.
- The Renewal Pop-In will be held on Tuesday, May 14, 2019. A schedule is forthcoming.
- Our Physical Education Teacher, Mr. Anderson continues his trips to Pre-K for the Movement Class. The scholars are eager to participate in each session.
- Monday, March 4th – Moms and Muffins.
- Pre-K had their In-house trip Brickz for Kidz on Friday, March 8th.
- Pre-K held their Awards Ceremony on Thursday, March 14th.
- REACS Open House, UPK: Tuesday, March 26th –10:00 – 11:00 am
- Dr. Knight/Mr. Moore will hold the monthly meeting with the UPK staff on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at the Main Building.
- REACS Main Office Open House Tuesday, March 26th – 3:00 – 4:00 pm.
- REACS Job Fair – Saturday, March 30th 9:00 – 12:00 pm
- Deadline for enrollment application is April 1st.
PTO Meeting was held on March 20, 2019
PTO Vice President resigned her position leaving a vacancy on the PTO board.
The PTO currently has a balance of ,572.72
PTO donated 312 pencils to scholars for after school.
PTO voted to serve hot breakfast on all 4 NYSED Testing dates. PTO is asking for donations to offset the cost. PTO president brought 3 quotes from local restaurants, parents voted to select. PTO agreed to pay .00 towards fifth grade scholars.
PTO proposed a Fifth Grade store to offset the cost for the Grade 5 Prom. PTO has concerns around fundraising, ideas, logistics, plan for remainder of the year.
PTO concern about parent notification regarding heating malfunction in the PreK site.
CEO Report – Dr. Rice
The first phase of the project has been completed and the second phase is well underway. The house was demolished and the ground backfilled and inspected by the DOB.
The second phase is the restoration of the Montessori school including electrical work, wiring, telephone, HAVC and duck work etc.
The third phase is the completion of drawing for the new building by June 2019.
Dr. Rice completed required workshops at the DOB and enrolled in the DOBNOW system to access to the contractors and architect site.
The bank is ready to close as soon as we produce a C of O on existing building.
Dr. Rice has requested financial support for REACS from capital funding.
Dr. Rice submitted three proposals (Signature Sites, Columbia Cascade, Sportspro)for the renovations and the specs for the renovations gymnasium. Ms. Sandiford made the motion to award Sportspro the contract to complete the renovation of the gymnasium. Ms. Williams seconded the motion. No abstentions. Motion carried.
Finance Report – Ms. Anglin reported that no meeting was held.
Academic Accountability Report – Ms. Williams reported that the academic team met prior to the board meeting and the details were included in the Principals Report.
Personnel Report – Ms. Sandiford shared
Fundraising Report – Ms. Stephens shared that there is no report.
Dr. Hamer requested a motion to make to support families in the school family during times of loss of immediate family members. After the discussion the motion was tabled for the next meeting. Ms. Muniz will draft.
Ms. Zhang made a statement of appreciation of the Board programming to support students.
Field Day – June 10, 2019
Prom – June 5, 2019
International Day – June 7, 2019
Student performances this year verses last year
Student to Student issues should be addressed to teachers. Parents cannot address other students.
Letter will be composed and sent to all parents.
Damion Bennons has resigned his position as a Board of Directors as of today March 25, 2019.
Dr. Hamer made the motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:00 PM. Ms. Fairclough-Leslie seconded the motion.
Everyone was thanked for coming out; Next Meeting April 30, 2019 to coincide with the Computer Lab ribbon cutting ceremony.